Dream - Believe - Create

Dream - Believe - Create https://assets.cameraclubhub.com/uploads/default/optimized/1X/56bb5f4c196105132fa95dc9a5090cb9e4aeb56d_2_1024x668.jpeg
rating 5.0 5

Length: About an hour

How delivered: Zoom and or in person in the greater Philadelphia Area. Available for conferences. Email to discuss options.

Dream - Believe - Create

Why Dream - Believe - Create? There was a time when I felt I could not create. My self-talk was, I am not a creative person, I’m not smart enough, I can’t do this. After seeing images projected at the first workshop I took, I dreamed of becoming a good photographer. Primarily with the help of well known accomplished photographers Tony Sweet, Nancy Rotenberg and later Dan Sniffin, I was able to chip away at the negative self talk and believe that I could create worthwhile images. Thus Dream - Believe - Create has become the centerpiece of what I teach in my workshops. I believe that everyone has dreams and can achieve their dreams. I also believe that when you truly believe, you will be liberated to be able to create.

The process and journey required to create images feeds my soul and brings me great joy. My goal in this presentation is to inspire you to capture the essence of the subjects you are drawn to using the creative medium of photography. This might entail capturing a small intimate portion of a scene. It might involve more creative techniques such as multiple exposures or the “slide sandwich” or camera movement for a more expressive interpretation. I will also touch on the digital darkroom including the popular HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology and how having a keen understanding of these can help you achieve your artistic vision. Numerous examples will be shown which include traditional nature scenes as well as more abstract and urban compositions. We will explore the beauty in both the grand scale as well as more intimate details. The ideas presented in this program have application to any genre of photography.

I believe like Ansel Adams, photographers bring to their images their own journeys, their sense of the world, their experiences and their passions. For me photography is simply another medium of artistic expression, visual poetry if you will.

1 Like

John’s presentation was outstanding. He challenged us to not be afraid to follow our creative urges, and not to be hindered by the “rules” that we were taught for good composition, to be afraid to experiment. He demonstrated the results of his creative adventures. My fellow camera club members were exclaiming that this was the best presentation that our camera club has ever had.

Donald Purdey
Vice-president, Redlands Camera Club

2 Likes

On behalf of the Victoria Camera Club, in British Columbia, Canada, I would like to extend our thanks, John, for such an inspiring presentation In January 2021. Our members declared you to be one of the best presenters we have had and remarked on your wonderful insights and suggestions.

It was particularly interesting to learn about being open to that moment of perception, to ultimately see more deeply.

We too, now hope to photograph ‘whatever makes our hearts sing!’

Thanks again, for a remarkable workshop, John, it was a sincere pleasure meeting you.

Richard Letourneau
Victoria Camera Club Webmaster, Zoom Host

John Barclay’s Presentation DREAM-BELIEVE-CREATE was a fantastic, fun, educational, unique and inspiring presentation. The reviews by all members were all 10’s (10 being the best). We even had some 11 ratings. We all felt so inspired and ready to go out photographing the next day. Myself included - photographed 4 hours the following day. I would very highly recommend any of John’s Presentation. Hope you get the pleasure of experiencing one of his wonderful programs.
Diane Toth, Program Coordinator - Candlewood Camera Club, Danbury, CT

1 Like

John’s presentation was filled with unique insights on creating creative images. Club members left inspired to try different techniques and create new and interesting photos.
Great presentation.

Derek Ford
Vice President, Boise Camera Club

John did an excellent job in speaking to our camera club. His talk was not only informative, it was also stimulating. We look forward to inviting him back to speak on another aspect of photography.
Bill Birnbaum, President, Sisters Area Photo Club, Sisters, OR